Today I think I will discuss scrapbooking on a budget. Some people ask me about this and with the gas prices skyrocketing I thought it would be a good topic.
When my friends and I shop together we always say we are bad together because we tend to spend more money! It is almost like that feeling you have in middle school when you just 'have' to have the things your friends have. I remember begging my mom to buy me a pair of 'Guess' jeans and a 'Liz Claiborne' purse... lol (dating myself here)
Anyway, to get to my point, we have to remember that scrapping is not a competition! Try to tell yourself to only buy what you will actually use. (I know it is hard... there are so many cute things)
So here are a few of my tips for scrapping on a budget (if you have some, feel free to leave a comment and share with us)
1. When buying paper, try to imagine your photos on the layout and just pick a few pattern pages. You don't HAVE to have the entire collection! (okay, here is where I need to take my own advice!)
2. New tools are cool, but when you really think about what some of them do, do you really need it? I try not to duplicate tools... for example, I have a Big Shot Express for my die-cutting... and that means I have no need for a Revolution or a Cuddlebug. I don't understand having multiple tools that do the same thing.
3. Save all your scraps! Scraps are great for making cards, paper piecings, tags, and more.
4. Since I bought my Cricut and the SCAL program, I no longer buy alphabet stickers, or lots of other stickers. I cut my own titles and embellishments. It is a larger initial investment that will pay off for sure! (And if you add a little glitter or flocking, they can look just as nice as the store-bought ones!)
5. Shop around! I look in all kinds of places for things I can use in my scrapbooks. Discount stores and hardware stores are great places to find little accents to add to your pages. Always use you coupons! And when shopping online, look for suppliers that offer free shipping.
6. Just be creative and have fun with your pages! No matter what your budget may be it is possible to make great layouts with some creativity!